Everyone’s gone a bit crazy with health and fitness with the likes of Joe Wicks, the Body Coach, Deliciously Ella and Madeline Shaw with veganism and the “clean eating” craze which I detest but underneath it all are good intentions. With the rise of obesity related diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol, we all need to seriously consider how and what we eat and doing a bit more exercise. So as breakfast is the most important mean of the day – Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and dinner like a pauper, this granola is a step in the right direction for a super healthy breakfast and when mixed with a protein packed yoghurt but please, don’t buy the zero fat versions which are full of sugar, we need fat (good fats) in our diet which keeps us full and it’s much tastier than the watery low fat versions, top with a homemade compote (apples, blueberries,a bit of honey and cinnamon) or sliced banana and 2-3 tablespoons of this granola, you have a breakfast that will sustain you all morning. This fabulous homemade granola can be adapted to suit your own taste and needs.
Healthy Oat and Nut Granola
- 300g Jumbo porridge oats
- 120g Mixed Seeds (I use Waitrose Mixed Seeds) Mix your own ie..chia, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, linseeds
- 60g Flaked almonds (or any other nut of choice)
- 60g Desiccated Coconut Not the sweet variety
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed oil or coconut oil if you're feeling super adventurous, if the oil is solid, melt first to get accurate measurement!
- 100ml Canadian Maple syrup Not the cheap stuff which is a sugar filled imitation.
- 2 tbsp Clear Honey
- 3 tbs Apple juice
Preheat oven to Gas Mark 2, 150 C, 300 F.
2) Line two large trays with baking parchment, in a large bowl, stir together the oats, seeds, coconut and almonds.
3) Gently heat together the rapeseed oil, maple syrup, honey and apple juice in a small saucepan. Pour over the oat and nut mix until well combined.
4) Divide the mixture between the two baking trays and bake for a total of 30 minutes until golden brown however swap the trays round after 15 mins and give both a stir to ensure even baking.
5) Leave to cool completely and transfer to an airtight container or tin.
Great served with yoghurt or quark and homemade fruit compote for breakfast or eaten alone with milk. This can easily be adapted with your choice of seeds and nuts. Please buy the authentic Canadian Maple Syrup, I know it's a little bit expensive but worth it for flavour and health, although it's a sweetener, it's an unrefined natural sweetener and maple syrup contains higher levels of beneficial nutrients, antioxidants and phytochemicals than white sugar.